I don’t think about HVAC Maintenance, until there’s a problem! To avoid problems be aware of some regular basic HVAC maintenance tips. We’ve heard before that this keeps your system operating at optimal proficiency but why should you care about the efficiency of your HVAC system? Regular basic HVAC maintenance will keep your system running efficiently and will help to keep your energy bills down.
Brennan Heating does a 21-point checklist which includes things like checking your filters, gas pressures, cracks that cause carbon monoxide leaks and much more. Make sure you choose a quality contractor to do the work.
Although there are some basic HVAC maintenance tasks that you can perform on your own, you should bring in a professional HVAC contractor for annual, pre-season checkups. There are two important reasons why having basic HVAC maintenance performed by a professional is so important:
1. A thorough inspection from a professional will reveal any problems with efficiency and performance, allowing the technician to fix it.
2. A professional inspection of your HVAC system will ensure that there are no health or safety risks with your system.
Here are some services involved in an average HVAC maintenance appointment:
- Lubricate moving parts. Parts that lack sufficient lubrication cause friction within the system which will increase your electricity usage.
- Check that the thermostat is working properly. When your thermostat is not working properly, you cannot set it reliably at energy saving temperatures.
- Check system controls. This ensures that the system not only operates properly, but that it turns on and shuts off when it should.
- Tighten electrical connections. During this process, the technician will also measure the voltage and current of the motor.
- Adjust the air conditioner’s refrigeration level. The technician will adjust these levels until they are perfect. (Too much or too little refrigeration will damage your air conditioner’s efficiency.)
- Clean evaporator and condenser coils on air conditioner. If these coils are dirty, you air conditioner runs longer which increase your energy costs.
- Adjust blower components. For maximum comfort, and maximum efficiency, the blower components need to be clean and fully operational.
This is not a complete listing of what a basic HVAC maintenance check involves. Your technician will likely do much more to keep your HVAC running at peak efficiency. So don’t take HVAC maintenance for granted. The life and health of your HVAC system—and the size of your energy bills—depends upon you.
Brennan Heating and Air Conditioning services the King County, Pierce, Kitsap, Thurston, Island, Mason and Snohomish areas.. To get started, check out our website.