Electrical Fire Safety, Tips

Electrical Fire SafetyDecember is the deadliest month for home electrical fires because holiday lighting, furnace use and appliance use all reach peak demand at the same time. Some causes of electrical fires include electrical wiring that was not properly installed, overloaded circuits or even extension cords. According to the National Fire Protection Association and the U.S. Fire Administration, an estimated 240 home fires involve Christmas trees each year, and another 150 home fires involve holiday lights.

Did you know that Brennan Heating has an electrical division?

In addition to offering service and repair of residential heating and cooling equipment like furnaces and air conditioners, Brennan Heating and Air Conditioning also offers residential electrical services including: home electrical inspections, home generator systems, panel change-outs, full-service changes, generator transfer switches, hot tub circuits, circuit upgrades, troubleshooting, computer circuits, maintenance and repair, breaker/fuse replacement, electric baseboard and in-wall fan replacements, light fixture installations,  switches, plugs, thermostats and more.

Here are a few tips to keep your home safe during the holiday season:

  • Don’t overload electrical outlets. Don’t link more than three light strands, unless the lighting manufacturer indicates that it is safe. Know the wattage limit of any extension cord in use and be careful not to overload it. Make sure to periodically check the wires of holiday lights to be sure; they aren’t warm to the touch.
  • Don’t leave holiday lights on unattended. Turn the lights on the Christmas tree off before you go to bed or leave for work. They shouldn’t be left on while no one is home.
  • Use only nonflammable decorations. All decorations should be nonflammable or flame-retardant and should be kept away from the furnace vents. If you are using a metallic or artificial tree, make sure that it’s flame retardant.
  • Never put wrapping paper in the fireplace. Wrapping paper in the fireplace can result in a very large fire, throwing off dangerous sparks and embers that may result in a chimney fire.

Would you like to learn more about your home’s heating and air conditioning system?

We can help. Brennan Heating offers a free energy consultation for residents of Washington state. Call 1-877-273-6626 or request a meeting with one of our knowledgeable consultants online.

Advertisements

About brennanheatingandairconditioning

Brennan Heating and Air Conditioning provides quality heating, cooling, and electrical services to the greater Seattle area.
This entry was posted in Furnaces, HVAC MAINTENANCE, Services, Thermostat and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s